Friday, June 18, 2010

Bonnethead and Sharpnose

This cute little thing right here is called a Bonnethead shark. (Sphyrna tiburo)
They're not very big (max length at about 5 feet) and we usually catch immature ones, around two feet or so. They make up a big chunk of what we catch out on the boat.

The other shark we catch all the time is the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark. (Rhizoprionodon terraenovae)
We usually catch a lot of juvenile sharpnose sharks, so like the bonnethead they're pretty small.

This is my advisor, Dr. Dean Grubbs, measuring a sharpnose on what I fondly call "the shark cradle."


This is me watching him measure another little guy.


How freaking cute is that tiny little shark?

2 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures. Why are you catching and measuring them? How do you catch them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to make a new entry about that! I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete